Polyurethane Foam Roof Applications
Polyurethane Foam Roofs have a long service life, they do not leak and save energy and money. “Polyurethane Foam Roofs”, “Sprayed Polyurethane Foam Roofs” or “SPF Roofs”, as they are called, are installed by the spray application of a high density (3 lbs. per cubic foot) polyurethane foam directly to the roof deck or over an existing roof such as a suitably cleaned and prepared Built-up Roof.
Polyurethane foam is a closed cell material and is waterproof but; because of the deleterious effect of ultra-violet radiation must be top coated with an elastomeric weather resistant coating. The most common coatings used are elastomers of silicone, acrylic, and polyurethane. The coating system may serve other functions as well, such as resistance to mechanical abrasion and fire.
A polyurethane foam roof is spray applied as a liquid to the substrate and chemically reacts in seconds and expands 20 to 30 times its original volume to form a strong monolithic waterproof layer of roofing.
SPF Has Many Unique Features:
1. SEAMLESS AND FULLY ADHERED: Water cannot run laterally through the system, a common problem with systems that are not fully adhered and have seams. If a leak does occur it is easier to locate.
2. LIGHTWEIGHT: A typical SPF roof will weigh 0.5 to 0.7 pounds per square foot, much lighter than Built-Up or Single Ply systems. A typical retrofit application over an existing Built-Up will reduce the weight on the roof because the SPF will weigh much less than the gravel removed from the Built-Up roof.
3. MONOLITHIC: Polyurethane foam because it is a spray application can be applied continuously without seams to the most irregular of roof structures such as domes and “saw-tooth” roofs.
4. ENERGY EFFICIENT: Polyurethane foam has the highest efficiency of any commercially available insulating material. Most SPF roof applications will return their investment in 3 to 8 years in lower heating and cooling costs.
5. SHORT APPLICATION TIME: SPF roofing can be applied faster with fewer people than most other systems. It is less likely that the roofing project will be interrupted by bad weather and will result in a shorter period of disruption for the customer.
6. MEETS BUILDING CODE REQUIREMENTS: Most SPF roofs sold today will meet UL-790 class A requirements for fire tests of roof coverings and meet the most severe wind uplift requirements.
7. ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: The energy efficiency of SPF roofs results in lower consumption of fossil fuels. SPF roofing seldom requires a tear off of the old roof. Just one large roof can easily result in one million pounds of trash for the landfill.
8. RENEWABLE: Polyurethane foam does not dry out or rot in the weather. As long as it is not exposed to UV radiation causing a powdery erosion resembling rust on steel the underlying foam will be as good as the day it was applied. An SPF roof properly applied at the beginning can be renewed at the end of the normal life cycle with minor repairs and the reapplication of the elastomeric top coating.
History of Success
SPF roofing systems have been successfully used over all types of roof decks in every climatic environment of the world. Sprayed polyurethane roofs have been installed over buildings in areas subject to hail, ice, and snow; in tropical (high humidity), subtropical, and desert (low humidity) areas where roofs are exposed to intense solar radiation. SPF roofing is high tech, BUR (tar and gravel) is low tech, the application techniques and equipment are different. SPF requires specialized equipment and more highly skilled personnel. Mainland Industrial Coatings, Inc. specializes in SPF roofing and has the equipment, skilled personnel and resources to perform. All of our jobs are completely customized to our customers’ needs, allowing us to offer you the best, top-notch service, efficiency, and versatility at competitive prices.
To Schedule Your No Obligation Consultation and Roofing Inspection Call Us Now (713)222-7663
Need To Repair or Restore Your Polyurethane Foam Roof?
We offer several solutions for restoring a Spray Polyurethane Roof including American Weather Star’s flagship fluid-applied roofing system Ure-A-Sil and a VOC compliant, 100% silicone system Envir-O-Sil.